Born in June 1920 into a very active nationalist and political family, Padraig Mulcahy did his schooling in Colaiste Mhuire CBS and Mount St Joseph’s, Roscrea. He commenced his professional career as a quantity surveyor in the practice of A E Smith in the late 1930s, followed by spells in Dublin Corporation, Wimpeys (on the Margham Steelworks in South Wales) and John Sisk & Son. He qualified when with O’Reilly-Hyland Tierney and Associates. In 1952 he set up his own practice, which evolved into Mulcahy McDonagh & Partners Ltd. He retired in 1985. Padraig was highly respected by all staff and was particular about ensuring that staff members were content in their place of work.
Not surprisingly, given his family background, Padraig was a committed Irishman. He was fluent in the Irish language and served as a commissioned officer in the FCA. He served as a board member of Feor Teoranta (the State business rescue authority) and served his local community through the Terenure Enterprise Centre. He was a lifelong and involved member of Fine Gael. Padraig had a lifelong love of golf, and served as Captain, President and Trustee of Milltown GC. He was also an enthusiastic supporter of golfing activities in the Society and Institution, serving as Captain of both.
Noted for his professionalism and integrity, Padraig was a much respected member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS) and Institution, and fulfilled many significant roles, most eminently as Chairman of the RICS Branch for two terms in 1960 and 1961. Padraig was a gregarious man who loved company. He was simple, straightforward and uncomplicated. He was humorous and both loved and generated fun. Above all, Padraig was a gentleman. He is survived by Margaret, his wife of some 60 years, his daughters Aine and Siobán, his son Risteard and his grandchildren.
Contributed by Mulcahy McDonagh & Partners Ltd.